20 July 2005

A way to go, Boo Boo

So Laura and I got up a little early this morning and did the AM Yoga workout with Rodney Yee calmly guiding us from the television.
Although I feel better (more aligned) than I have in weeks, I am acutely aware of how far I have fallen from the path of physical, mental and spiritual health. The work, time and discipline that it will require to reclaim the balance I have enjoyed in brief spurts throughout my years is an overwhelming prospect. I know that balance and flexibility are the true subtle paths to being a full human being, but I fear that I have allowed myself to become too rigid, too stagnant and too closed to allow the light of God back in.
It's like the old proverb from Zhuang Zi about the Oak and the Willow in the storm. The oak tree grows strong and proud and looms large, but its rigidity cannot stand against the strong winds of the storm; its limbs snap off, its trunk is twisted and sometimes it is ripped from the ground at its roots. The willow droops and hunches. Its trunk is often already twisted and one could even say it is lazy compared to the ambitious oak that is always striving for size and height. When the wind blows on the willow, it sways, flexes and twists in concert with the storm. Its strength is inherent in its flexibility; the core teachings of Taoism, Jesus and Yogic philosophy show us this as well. The only constant in life is change. As trite as that may sound now that it is cliche, it is true. Yoga and Tai Chi proponents understand this and make it part of their lives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home