13 October 2005

Forgive us, for we know not what we do....

Simon And Garfunkel - Sparrow

Who will love a little sparrow
Who's traveled far and cries for rest?
"Not I," said the Oak Tree
"I won't share my branches with no sparrow's nest
And my blanket of leaves won't warm her cold breast"

Who will love a little sparrow
And who will speak a kindly word?
"Not I," said the Swan
"The entire idea is utterly absurd
I'd be laughed at and scorned if the other swans heard."

Who will take pity in his heart
And who will feed a starving sparrow?
"Not I," said the Golden Wheat
"I would if I could but I cannot I know
I need all my grain to prosper and grow"

Who will love a little sparrow?
Will no one write her eulogy?
"I will," said the Earth
"For all I've created returns unto me
From dust were ye made and dust ye shall be"


This morning, NPR had a piece on five National Guardsmen from Pennsylvania that were killed needlessly in Iraq.
But, the mourning of parents having survived their children is just a fraction of the whole problem.
Whatever reason George W. had for sending us into warfare, it was wrong! Why can't the world see that this is all an illusion?!?
All the divisions, all the hatred, all the material manifestations of desire.....all of it is illusion.
Know this, all of your possessions, every cell of your physical form will be reclaimed by Mother Earth! Dust to dust, you wayward fool!
All that will remain is your soul, the spirit that is an integral part of the universe. How do you want that spirit to live? Hating? Scared? Lonely in its fierce individualism?
Or would you rather make your mark with positivity, lifting I and I up and transcending the short-sighted hording and petty jealousy? Do any of us really have the answers?!?
Can I kill you with a clear conscious because my Jesus is better than your Mohammud?
Or should we just slow down and talk awhile? Can't we just have a spirited and healthy conversation about these "differences" that divide us so?
Believe me, evil exists. But, why do we have to succumb to it so absolutely? As trite as it sounds, love is the only answer I think will free us.
I don't like humans, that's no secret. But, I do love humans, just as I love God and all God's manifestations. The universe has enough perversion and cruelty (in our limited perspective) without humans contributing more. If we're such intelligent creatures, why can't we get past the trappings of our imagined reality?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home