05 August 2008

Meditations on Violence by Sgt. Rory Miller

I just finished this book and it's a must read! Most of you know that I am generally averse to pushing recommendations on folks, but this book actually inspired me to write a review on Amazon! This is the text from that review:
This book, in 169 pages, articulates truths that you cannot find in dozens of others on the subject. Rory Miller has written a seminal text on the subject of real violence, while simultaneously shattering the fantasies of the majority of martial artists.
I have already started to incorporate the concept of the "monkey dance" and the "GMD" into lessons for my students. I even used the process predator as an example of mindset in one of my classes last week.
While I experienced more than my share of street altercations in the 1980's, I haven't been involved in an unrestrained, unexpected episode of violence in over 16 years. The tendency to stray from reality in one's training is very real and should be a constant fear in every martial artist's mind.
I have purchased countless copies of Sanford Strong's "Strong on Defense" for my students and fellow combat scientists over the years. This book, "Meditations On Violence," will now be added to those purchases, as I believe that everyone needs to read what is contained here.
This book is one of the most sobering and important books out there on the subject of violence and our interaction with it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home