21 May 2005

Call sucks!!!!

Why am I up and wide awake at 0445 hrs. on a Saturday morning?!? Not because I am a youthful, partying lad, I assure you! I am on call at work. I went on call a little over 20 hours ago. I was sound asleep at 0300 this morning when the first page came through. An hour later I was trying to wind down in order to go back to bed. When I finally got back upstairs at 0430, I hadn't even folded my pillow just right before the fuckin' pagers (that's right, two of them--explaination forthcoming) went off. WTF?!? Are you kidding me???
I am on 24/7 backup call anyway because I am the system admin. and I am accountable if my team doesn't answer their pages. However, when it is NOT my call week, I usually ignore my pager (same number as the rotating call pager, but works better in my county) unless it is vibrating off the hook. Well, I happened to notice that this last week's call was slow---hell, no pages for her in the last six days! What happened when I took the pager? Three calls in the middle of the night within the first 20 hours!?!? This does not bode well for the next six days. Luckily, we are able to do all of the network troubleshooting from home and thanks to redundancy, most of the actual physical failures can wait until one is lucid and ambulatory enough to drag one's ass into work on a fucking weekend!!! I am starting to think about clocking in for the work that I do here at home. Normally, I let the hours I work at home slide because I am grateful to have my job (former sociopath that's lucky to be alive, let alone leading a productive life) at this point, but these "zombie calls" kill me. I'm gettin' too old for this shit!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home